Our editors have independently chosen the products listed on this page. If you purchase something mentioned in this article, we may earn a small commission.
August 19, 2021 — 13:03 PM
One of the farmers market items that always signals the true peak of summer is the arrival of farm-fresh corn. While certain processed corn products are notoriously not the most healthy, whole fresh corn is a good option for any table. “We often demonize corn since it has many byproducts used vigorously throughout our food system,” registered dietitian nutritionist Carlene Thomas, RDN, says. “But the fact is, corn—as a cereal grass—is delicious and versatile.”
Versatile is right: There are so many ways to use corn. But when it’s in peak season, the best thing you can do is just let it shine on its own—or maybe pair it with an ingredient that highlights its flavor. Another popular summer produce option, blueberries make an appearance in this salad alongside fresh-off-the-cob kernels. They bring antioxidants and a sweet, tart punch to the party—a perfect complement to sweet corn. With a simple dressing, it’s the type of light and refreshing summer side that’s perfect at a barbecue or a picnic.
- In a salad bowl, add corn kernels, blueberries, and chives. Stir to combine.
- In a circular motion around the salad bowl, pour in vinegar first, then the oil.
- Lightly toss to mix flavors and ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper and toss one final time.
- If not serving immediately, place covered in the refrigerator. This dish is best when served cold.
Recipe excerpted from The FarmMade Cookbook. Copyright © 2021 by Patti Johnson-Long. Used with permission of Skyhorse Publishing, Inc.